Saturday, January 7, 2012

Growth

It has been 15.5 months since I have started my business and I have watched it grow before my eyes into something I didn't know was possible. I'm still the newbie in the business, which I rather enjoy. I am just soaking up all the new techniques, information, poses, prop ideas, angle ideas, lighting ideas, and editing ideas. Through all this learning I believe I have discovered my distinct and unique style within the photography community. I call my style fresh, unique, and modern with a twist of traditionalism (if I'm wrong, I would certainly love input on labeling my style).

I never thought I would ever feel comfortable photographing people, until my room-mate at the time and her husband pushed me to go outside my comfort zone. As a trained traditional landscape photographer I never thought I would trade my manual camera in for a digital one... I fought the concept for many years, but I'm glad I made the switch. I still own and use my manual camera from time to time, I don't think I could ever give up my dark room at Photoworks in Glen Echo Park. All I need is an ipod with some Pearl Jam playing and I am in my idea of what heaven will be like for me.

This photo shoot in particular is extra-special to me. 348 days ago I photographed this couple on a deary snowy covered day, and was pleased with the results I had then. This shoot is so special to be because not only is it family... but it also shows my growth and comfort in my business and my talents. So some of you may know, over the summer I ran into a hard time finding funding to continue my business. I was researching grants and tax breaks to help funnel funds into equipment I needed desperately. I was just about to pull the plug of the business when in September I received a very small $2,000 grant, it was enough to change my attitude and continue investing in my business. These photos have refueled my passion and my drive to watch my business grow and succeed. Also some of you may know, my birthday is January 21st... I can honestly say these photos (seeing the growth in myself as a photographer and my work) is the best birthday gift I could ever ask for. This new drive and actual proof of improvement (and a large amount of improvement at that) has solidified the thought that I was designed, created, and called to work in this industry.

Mike and Christie are a super cute couple who are very photogenic. I ask them to do a pose, and they move it to their comfort adding small surprises with each and every frame. They're very creative and came up with multiple poses on their own, which is so much fun!

Before
After

Some more before (aka 348 days ago) and afters (today). I am just amazed at how much I've learned and experienced between the two. Not to mention how much these two have grown and matured over the year. 
Before
After

Before
After


Before
After






















































 










 Now just to show how adorable this couple is, I asked them to do the pose in color, the next frame had the photo in black and white. (insert "awwws" here). I know its just so adorable. I aww every time I see it. The love they have for each other just pours out of every photograph.
 There is one special photo that will be introduced on Tuesday, January 10th that I can't wait to show. It will be posted on my Facebook page. They each wrote a special message to each other and doesn't know what it is... I can't wait to unveil it!!!






I just love this one so much!!! They're just too precious for me to handle. I am just so thankful for the experiences, clients, blessings, and knowledge I've had over the year. Not many people can walk away from a job saying they love what they do. Well... I love what I do every single day and I have fabulous memories to show for it!!!! I hope in another year Mike and Christie will invite me to do another shoot so I continue to evaluate my growth in this industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment